Acne Clinic Bellingham, WA
Acne treatment for adults and teens
Acne Treatment Services
Pharmaceutical-Grade Skincare Products
What is “Maskne”?
Maskne is a results of increase use of masks over the face and resulting acne on the bottom half of the face from moisture, friction and bacterial irritation. Our faces already have a lot of bacteria, so with the increase in mask use, many people are getting break outs.
What can I do for the maskne?
Wash your face twice a day
This is huge. A gentle cleanser and warm water, then moisture afterwards if you feel like your skin needs it.
Change mask regularly
Change out your mask every 1-2 days, and wash your reusable mask in hot soapy water with oxyclean powder to eliminate bacteria, at least twice weekly.
Don't pick the skin
Avoid touching the face as this can spread bacteria around and worsen the problem.
See a dermatology provider
If your skin does not improve after 3-4 weeks of this routine, then see your dermatology provider for help and more options.
Acne MythsMyths about acne are as common as the skin problem.
- One common myth is that “you have to let acne run its course”- this is not true and can lead to scarring.
- “Greasy foods cause acne”-there is no scientific evidence that this is true!
- Another myth: “it is good to exfoliate the skin regularly”-actually, this can inflame your acne and spread bacteria around your skin.
- “It is fine to pop your pimples”-touching the face spreads bacteria and popping pimples can really spread more bacteria so this is rarely a good idea. This also causes more inflammation in the skin.
- “Only teens get acne”-sadly this is not true. People of all ages get acne including up to 30% of adults. Thankfully there are great methods to help clear the skin for all ages.
- Another myth: “Accutane is unsafe” – in fact when indicated, Accutane is very safe and very effective for certain patterns of acne. Accutane can also have a “curative” effect for certain patterns of acne and can provide great confidence for patients to have clear skin! All providers at MSFM are Accutane providers and are happy to help you achieve clear skin.
Dermatologists know and understand these myths and encourage people to treat their acne.
Why Treat Acne?
- Without treatment, dark spots and permanent scars can appear on the skin as acne clears and sometimes be permanent.Treating acne often boosts a person’s self-esteem.
- Many effective treatments are available and easy to do.
- It is better to proactively treat the skin vs. reactively try to correct the damage to the skin
Schedule your acne treatment today
Call: (360) 647-1900